Training Center Questions
Founded in November of 2000, GeniusDV has become the world's premier training center for digital video editing and production. Owners John Lynn and Mike Willats forged a promise to create an elite training environment that provides state-of-the-art, hands-on training for all of the popular video editing software packages.
GeniusDV has always taught according to the current industry trends. That means that we teach outside the book and customize our classes to each individual or company's needs. GeniusDV keeps class sizes to a minimum to ensure that we can give each student extensive individual attention, so that everyone can absorb the education and knowledge that will help them continue to succeed in the industry.
GeniusDV offers two disinct avenues for training:
On-Site Training (Nationwide)
Classroom Training in Orlando, FL
All these training options have these great benefits:
• Luxurious (A class) training classroom
• Small class size, hands on instruction
• Certified courseware
• Official framed certificate of course completion
• You may re-take the same class indefinitely, at no charge.
• An optional certification exam is available (depending on the courses that you take).
• One student per computer for the duration of the class.
• We will provide you with a way to stay in touch with your instructor.
• You will receive ongoing support after taking a class with us,
• Unique Live Help chat system for support after you complete your training
• Access to thousands of tutorials and technical documents
Have you ever taken a great training class, and then felt left out in the cold, with no way to get in touch with your training facility or instructor? GeniusDV provides a toll free number, and / or cell phone that you can call 7 / 24 to touch base with a real human being. In some cases, it may be your actual instructor. We don't have any restricted hours, we will always return your call. This is unheard of in the training industry. Specific software support can cost hundreds of dollars a year, and GeniusDV provides this as an ongoing benefit. We trust that you won't abuse it.
GeniusDV has a passion for training. Every day we provide new updated tips or tutorials related to Avid Media Composer or Final Cut Studio. Even if you decide not to attend a training course, this information will lead to some invaluable tips and tricks to help you learn the software. Compare our website content to our competition.
Our instructors are industry experts. We do not use instructors that have just graduated or that have a couple years of experience. All of our instructors have been working in the industry for a minimum of 5 years. Because of this, they typically go above and beyond of what you might expect. If you don't believe us, read a couple testimonials of students that have taken classes in the last year. Read what students are saying about the GeniusDV training center(s).
Have you had a great training class, but in a terrible location? You don't need to worry about parking your car, and your hotel is within walking distance.
How many people are in a typical class?
Never less than 1, but never more than 5. Typically for a large class of 6 student, we may have an assistant or an additional instructor to assist with the class. Do the courses include hands-on training? Every student will have their own computer system for the duration of the class with wide screen flat panel LCD display. Our classes are hands-on and intensive, with lots of time to experiment with the various exercises that have been taught to you.
Have you ever had a bad training experience, with no ability to do anything about it?
GeniusDV has several policies that will make you more comfortable when deciding to shell out your hard earned dollars. If you are taking 2-5 day course, and you are completely unhappy with the first day of training (and you notify us via telephone, e-mail, or voicemail), we will refund your money 'No questions asked' after the first day. You can't beat this promise!
What if you have to re-schedule? Are there strict rules, like most other centers?
No, although we hate surprises, we will re-schedule you in our next available class. No cost to you, with no hidden charges.
What if I change my mind and want my money back?
Most other training centers have a strict policy of no refunds up to a certain date. We process a full refund up to one week before your scheduled class starts. We won't hesitate to process your refund. If you have paid by credit card, we will charge you a $75.00 fee to credit your account back. If you cancel prior to one week (7 days) before the class starts, we will offer you full credit towards any future class.
Can I audit a class for free?
As a benefit, we allow students to retake the same class indefinitely without charge. We just need to make sure we have a computer and room in the next class for you. Just remember, occasionally our vendors expand the number of days required for a class. If you choose to audit a class that has been expanded upon, we will only charge you for the additional days of the class.
What if I am the only student that has signed up and GeniusDV cancels my class?
In rare cases, GeniusDV may need to re-schedule a class. In this case, we will notify you one week prior to attending. If necessary, we will refund your money is full or re-schedule the class for you.
Can I have someone sit in my class and audit while I attend?
We do not allow other individuals to sit in a class without payment. We do offer group discounts. The reason for this is simple: It interferes with an instructor's ability to teach you what is necessary in learning the software. It is also unfair to the other paying customers in your class.
What are some warning signs about training centers?
• Outdated Class Schedules (or shows every single class being sold-out! - this is sometimes a trick for saying 'cancelled' or 'outdated'.)
• A salesperson on the phone that doesn't seem to care about your needs.No way of talking to the actual instructor teaching your class before you attend.
• No online support forum or 800 customer support.
• No way to get your money back if you cancel 2 weeks before the class starts.
• Your instructor has less than 1 year experience, and was a student less than a year ago.
• Make sure you read your instructors bio or talk to him/her before attending.
• A center that claims to be experts in every imaginable software product.
• After your class, you have no way of contacting your instructor. Make sure you are able to stay in touch.
• A center that has a disclaimer that they can cancel or re-schedule a class at anytime. Don't be burned by this!
• When talking to your sales person, the old 'we only have 1 seat left trick.'
NOTICE to international travelers:
Please review the Visa requirements for entering the United States. Currently there are only 27 countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program. Residents of Canada, Mexico and Bermuda do not require a Visa. All international travelers to the U.S. now require a passport.
Spreading the knowledge
GeniusDV's mission is to share knowledge related to being successful in the Video Industry. In 2007, GeniusDV was awarded Google 'Search Enterprise Superstar Award' in an effort to provide valuable content for those interested in learning video production.
GeniusDV continues to offer free tutorials and content which has created a tremendous following of loyal customers and a familiar brand within the video production industry. It continues to develop educational classes related to video production.