Import FCP 7 projects into FCP X
With the latest update to Final Cut Pro X (10.0.3), you can now import your Final Cut Pro 7 projects into FCP X.
There's a company called Intelligent Assistance that makes an application for converting your old Final Cut Pro 7 projects to Final Cut Pro X projects. Don't worry, for those of you who want to go the other way.... meaning FCP X to FCP 7, they have an app for that as well.
You can purchase the application through the Mac App store. It's only $10.00!
So, I did a basic test converting a project with some cross dissolves and an audio track from Final Cut Pro 7 into Final Cut Pro X, and it worked flawlessly!
Now, the only odd-ball thing, is that each sequence is converted into something called a Compound Clip into Final Cut Pro X. It's really not that big of a deal, but you'll need to break apart your compound clip in order to see all the video and audio clips.
Don't worry, the documentation provides very simple methods that walk you through on how to accomplish that.
I'm very impressed with the number of elements that can be converted. Some quick notes that caught my interested include the ability to convert the following:
- Nested Sequences are Converted to Compound Clips
- MultiClips are Converted to FCP X Multiclips
- Split edits are maintained
- Audio Levels (including keyframes and pans) are maintained
- Motion Tab Settings are converted directly over including (scale, opacity, distort, position and composition settings)
- Constant Speed changes
- 31 compatible transitions
- 72 FxPlug and FXScript plugins are converted over
- 32 various audio filters
*This is NOT a complete list, but it contains a few things that caught my eye as being a good thing!
There are a couple of items that will not carry over which include:
- Titles Created with Title 3D title tool
- Variable Speed Changes
- Filter Settings
- Drop Shadows and Blurs using the Motion Tab
- Travel Mattes using the Alpha or Luma Composite Modes
Again, this is not a complete list, so please ready the documentation.
Listed below are 0 links to blogs that reference this entry: Import FCP 7 projects into FCP X.
TrackBack URL for this entry: